The Famous Error Message: "ImportError: No module named python_script"

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Dec 14 19:05:52 EST 2006

At Thursday 14/12/2006 17:13, rich murphy wrote:

>Thanks to everyone who responded with valuable suggestions. I
>appreciate them all. I found the exact reason why "import" command
>fails.
>
>At the beginning I created my script file with MS Notepad. After
>studying all the advice, I realized that I did not try other text
>editors just becuase the tutorial says: "use your favorite text editor
>to create a file called fibo.py in the current directory with the
>following contents:"

I bet your file is actually called fibo.py.txt then.
(Perhaps some advise should be provided for Windows users, about
enclosing the name inside "double quotes", or selecting "All files
(*.*)" on the file type list)

>Then I created another file with the same stuff in it using WordPad.
>The behaviour of the "import" command improved a lot but still not
>good.

Uhm... either the import was successful, or not. Care to explain what
you mean?

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "C:\Python24\fibo.py", line 11, in fib2
>     while b < n:
>UnboundLocalError: local variable 'b' referenced before assignment

Compare your function with the version shown in the tutorial.
Variable 'b' is assigned on the previous line.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL