sha, PyCrypto, SHA-256

mirandacascade at yahoo.com mirandacascade at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 16 14:17:19 EST 2006

Operating system: Win XP
Vsn of Python: 2.4

Situation is this: Required to calcluate a message digest.  The process
for calcluating the digest must use an SHA-256 algorithm.

Questions:
1) Is it correct that the sha module comes with python 2.4?
2) Is it correct that the sha module that ships with python 2.4 does
NOT have the SHA-256 capability as part of the module?
3) It looks like PyCrypto is a package that, among other things,
permits one to calculate a message digest using an SHA-256
algorithm...is that correct?
4) It looks like there are a couple couple possibilities available for
the download...either download the source code and run the setup which
(I'm assuming) compiles the various extension modules, or download the
pycrypto-2.0.1.win32-py2.4.zip which extracts out to a .exe; when one
runs the just-extracted .exe, it installs the stuff on one's
workstation.  I'm leaning toward the second option because it seems
like most of the work has been done for me.  A quick search on this
site didn't turn up anything that suggested there were problems with
running the installer.  So, my question is this: are you aware of any
problems running the installer?
5) Besides PyCrypto, are there any other Python packages that permit
one to calculate a message digest using an SHA-256 algorithm?

Thank you.