merits of Lisp vs Python

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 03:18:20 EST 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Ken Tilton <kentilton at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>btw, you called the defskill messy (repeated below) "messy". The only
>>text not specific to absolute value is D-E-F-S-K-I-L-L.
>

> No, the messiness was not in the macro instantation (defskill blah...),
> but in the defmacro that tells the compiler how to expand it.

Again, that is precisely the point of macrology (in cases like this).
When a pattern will repeat a sufficient number of times, and a function
cannot handle the job, we do a little extra work (write some meta-code)
to make dozens (or hundreds) of applications as minimalist as possible.

That makes them concise, readable, and maintainable.

>  Python
> function defs are lightweight enough that I don't experience a big pain
> from using an extra one for a thing like that.

Check out the latest, plz. The example has grown now beyond what a
function can do, I think. meanwhile, I have not seen how Python lets you
avoid revisiting dozens of instances when changes to a mechanism are
required.

ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd