merits of Lisp vs Python

Kirk Sluder kirk at nospam.jobsluder.net
Sat Dec 16 13:33:35 EST 2006

In article <7xvekcbhm9.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
 Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Kirk  Sluder <kirk at nospam.jobsluder.net> writes:
> > Personally, I've always preferred use the imperative to describe
> > _basic_ math rather than the passive. This would seem to map better to
> > RPN than infix.

(emphasis added)

> For writing down complicated, nested expressions too?  That's very
> unusual.  E.g.
>
>   n! = (n/e)**n * sqrt(2*pi*n) * (1 + (1/12n)) * ...
>
> vs. the same thing in Lisp notation, and that's not even so complicated.

I wasn't even talking about Polish notation vs. other standard
notations. I was talking about your claimed correspondence between
infix and natural Languages.

(1/12n) - "divide 1 by the product of" of 12 and n"
sqrt(2*pi*n) - "calculate the square root of the product of 2 pi and
n."

If computer languages were to mimic natural languages on this point,
they would support both forms of expression and be sensitive to mode
and mood.