Why not just show the out-of-range index?

Russ uymqlp502 at sneakemail.com
Mon Dec 4 03:12:48 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Russ wrote:
>
> >> No one is castigating the OP for bringing up the issue. His suggestion that his
> >> time is worth more than that of anyone else, though, is drawing some ire.
> >
> > I'm afraid that any such "suggestion" is purely in your own
> > imagination.
>
>    "Now, that would be rather silly. I would have to familiarize myself
>    with the code for the Python interpreter, then send a patch to the
>    maintainers (and hope they notice it in their inboxes), while the
>    maintainers themselves could probably "fix" the problem in two minutes
>    flat. No thanks!"

That is a perfectly reasonable statement. Forgive me if I
underestimated the difficulty of implementing the feature I suggested,
but I still don't think it would be difficult for the code maintainers
to implement. They are obviously familiar with the code, but I'm not!

> and a couple of other posts with a similar tone.  open source developers
> tend to ignore people who use the "you're just a bunch of code monkeys"
> intimidation approach, especially when combined with an undertone of
> "what I'm proposing should be easy, and if it isn't, that's because
> you're incompetent".  claiming to talk for everyone else doesn't really
> help, either.

Boy, some of you guys seem to have a very low self esteem, reading
insults where none exist. "Just a bunch of code monkeys"?!! Where in
the friggin' world did I say anything remotely resembling that? I
happen to be a proud "code monkey" myself, for crying out loud!  And
excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for suggesting a minor new feature to enhance the
productivity of Python without implementing it myself! Geez!