About alternatives to Matlab

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Tue Dec 12 10:38:06 EST 2006

Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> Well, then it should also run on my Mac... Do you have any experience
> with performance of numerical code under Mono, or, for that matter,
> under .NET? I suspect that the JIT compilers were not written with
> number crunching in mind, but perhaps I am wrong.

Actually, F# seems to be very fast for array-based floating-point
calculations. From the timings I gave earlier in this thread, for example,
it is between C++ and OCaml.

F# (actually .NET) seems to be slower for GC intensive programs, like my ray
tracer. I suspect this is because a concurrent GC is inherently slower. I
haven't benchmarked this in detail but F# seems to be 2-4x slower than
OCaml here.

Objective CAML for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/index.html?usenet