merits of Lisp vs Python

Paul Rubin http
Mon Dec 11 20:21:14 EST 2006

"HowiPepper" <hpepper at gmail.com> writes:
> With Python's ease of learning and use, availability of a large number
> of libraries, extremely active development community and large
> user-base, I'd say the question to ask is what specific advantages over
> Python does Lisp offer, to make people switch to it?

Lisp has a more uniform design geared towards large system
development.  It doesn't have as many weird quirks and exceptions as
Python.  It has much more serious implementations with real compilers.
There is an inevitability about the way the language works, it's just
"cosmic".  The only way I can suggest to appreciate that is study an
implementation of it sometime.  The parentheses really aren't a big
deal.  Lisp is simply hypnotic, to those receptive to that kind of
thing.  In musical terms, Python is like a Beatles song, very popular
and easy to sway and dance to.  Lisp is like a Bach fugue.