advice on stripped down python

fhaibach at polychromix.com fhaibach at polychromix.com
Wed Dec 6 16:29:04 EST 2006

I'm looking for advice on a stripped down Python for an SBC to run
Numpy and Scipy.  I have the following notes on the system

We have code that requires recent versions of Numpy and Scipy.
The processor is a Sharp ARM LH7A404 with 32MB of SDRAM.
512 MB flash disk - but 400 MB is reserved for data
The OS is Linux
only a tty interface is used.

Does anyone have a feel as to whether the Python for ARM is a good
starting point?
What modules can I safely add/strip out?
Will Python take more than 5-6 seconds to load?
Would it be easier to add needed modules to deeply embedded Python or
Pippy?
Will old Python releases, like 1.5.x, work with newer Numpy and Scipy?

Thanks!
a Fred

PS. attempted to post on gmane, but not sure if I succeeded.