merits of Lisp vs Python

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Sun Dec 17 12:49:46 EST 2006

Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
> On 2006-12-17 07:54:28 -0500, Jon Harrop <jon at ffconsultancy.com> said:
>> What if eager impurity isn't the "very nature" of the problem but,
>> rather, is the very nature of Tilton's chosen solution?
>
> That's the whole point which you keep missing - that a programming
> language is expressive precisely to the extent that it allows you to
> express the solution in the *programmer's* chosen form, not the
> paradigm imposed by the language.

That is the ideal, yes.

In practice, different languages encourage you to use different solutions.
For example, when faced with a problem best solved using pattern matching
in Lisp, most Lisp programmers would reinvent an ad-hoc, informally
specified and bug-ridden pattern matcher of their own. Do you not think
that Lispers typically "compile" their high-level algorithms into low-level
Lisp constructs like COND or IF?

> You look down your nose at cells, but if that's the way kenny conceived
> of the problem - as a graph of changing state, why should he be forced
> to reconceptualize it according to someone else's notion of programming
> correctness (be that pure functional or any other paradigm)?

Kenny isn't being forced to do anything.

> By asking this question you've implicitly admitted that to solve it *as
> he thought of it* in a pure functional language would require
> reconceptualizing it (i.e., the aforementioned "jumping through
> hoops").

You are saying that solving it as he solved it requires a different
solution. How does that make Lisp any different to the next language?

> We don't want to reconceptualize everything according to a
> particular paradigm, we want the flexibility to write the solution to
> the problem in the terms we think and talk about it, not the
> procrustean bed of pure functional semantics.

Of the programming paradigms that can be implemented in Lisp, Lisp doesn't
exactly make them easy. Moreover, every time you pick a random Lisp library
off the wall to implement some feature already found in most other
languages, you fragment the already tiny user base into even fewer people.

Objective CAML for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/index.html?usenet