Roundtrip SQL data especially datetime

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sat Dec 16 13:36:17 EST 2006

John Machin wrote:
> John Nagle wrote:
>
>>dyork wrote:
>>
>>>"John Machin" <sjmachin at lexicon.net> wrote in message
>>>news:1166211949.065578.292600 at f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

>>    Actually, MySQLdb isn't released for Python 2.5 yet
>

> Actually, that's interesting information [why should it take so long?],
> but the OP didn't actually say what brand of database he was actually
> using :-)

    True.

    Why should it take so long?  The Python people don't support the
MySQL interface, and the MySQL people don't support the Python interface.
There's one guy on Sourceforge doing the MySQLdb glue code.  And he's busy.

    This is unusual for database bindings.  The standard Perl distribution
supports MySQL and several other databases, so you can use MySQL
out of the box, and it's tested for new releases.  The standard MySQL
distribution supports PHP, Java, etc., so that's standard and gets
tested.

    With Python/MySQL, though, neither side takes responsibility
for making that binding work.

    One side effect of this being third party code is that hosting
services may not have it available, even when they have both Python
and MySQL up.  This is never a problem with Perl or PHP, so that's
a negative for Python.  I'm currently trying to get "EZpublishing",
usually a good hosting service, to fix this on their systems.

    There are also some recent problems between versions of
Apache, mod_python, MySQLdb, Python, and MySQL, some of which can
crash a web server.  (Ref:
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/p/python-mysqldb/python-mysqldb_1.2.1-p2-4/changelog)
Not sure if this has been resolved yet.

				John Nagle