Good Looking UI for a stand alone application

Luc Heinrich luc at honk-honk.com
Tue Dec 19 02:36:06 EST 2006

Peter Decker <pydecker at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have a Mac, although I would certainly like one. But one of
> the two authors of Dabo is a Mac user, and says that he does all his
> development on a Mac, and then tests it on the other platforms. Look
> at the screencasts on the Dabo site - most of them are recorded on OS
> X.

Yeah, I have watched three of them and they are glaring examples of what
I'm talking about. The applications presented not only don't look right,
at all, they apparently don't feel right either.

> OK, it's true: you don't have 100% access to the lickable Aqua stuff
> that a Cocoa app might be able to use. But paged controls use native
> Aqua tabs; progress bars are native Aqua bars, buttons are native Aqua
> buttons... Perfect? Of course not. But stating that it sucks is a load
> of crap.

No it's not, because you insist on presenting only one part of the
problem. Using native widgets is *far* from enough.

> Such self-important pronouncements would be better received if you
> brought them down the mountain on stone tablets.

No problem, let me get my chisel, do you prefer Fedex or UPS ? :p

--
Luc Heinrich