db access

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at designaproduct.biz
Thu Dec 28 11:37:24 EST 2006

king kikapu írta:
> Hey Martin,
>
> thanks for the fast reply!
>
> I have already seen that link and i just downloaded the pyodbc module
> but isn't Python already containing a "built-in" odbc module so to
> allow for db communication ??

There is no built-in ODBC module. We all know that Python comes with
batteries included. :-) So if you only want to play with SQL then you
can use the SQLite package. That is built in Python 2.5. But if you wish
to connect to MS SQL, you need to install a third party package. Python
does not come with submarine battery packs included, only simple
batteries. The good news is that it costs nothing to install additional
extensions.

By the way, if you plan to use MS SQL from Python, I would recommend ADO
instead. ODBC is very old technology. ADO is much better supported. ADO
can be accessed from Activestate Python (which is a special Python
version from the win32 platform). The other alternative is to install
the win32 extensions for Python. (And probably there are other
alternatives as well.)

I recommend this:

http://www.mayukhbose.com/python/ado/index.php

Best,