PEP 3107 Function Annotations for review and comment

Tony Lownds tony at PageDNA.com
Sun Dec 31 11:23:25 EST 2006

On Dec 31, 2006, at 7:54 AM, John Roth wrote:
> Tony Lownds wrote:
>> Perhaps you are right and intersecting libraries will become an
>> issue.
>> Designing a solution in advance of the problems being evident seems
>> risky to me. What if the solution invented in a vacuum really is more
>> of a hindrance?
>
> Vacuum? What vacuum?

No libraries use the new syntax. Hence no libraries can be currently
intersecting on the usage.

[...]
> At the moment the project I'm working on has annotations
> from three packages: Python FIT (which is the actual package),
> Ned Bachelder's code coverage tool, and one of the code
> standards tools. None of these are either documentation
> or type checking / coercion.

Let me see if I can guess how those tools will use function annotations.
You've decided Python FIT can't use function annotations. Code
coverage tool won't even use function annotations. It's possible
packages
like pylint will learn to interpret function annotations to provide
better static
analysis. Right?

The problem is, pylint may only understand annotation scheme A and the
module author has written the annotations in scheme B. Is this is the
kind of
"intersection" issue you had in mind? Do you have any more specific
cases to
consider?

Thanks
-Tony