python vs java & eclipse

hg hg at nospam.com
Fri Dec 1 06:43:35 EST 2006

Thomas Ploch wrote:
> Thomas Ploch schrieb:
>> Amir Michail schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It seems to me that measuring productivity in a programming language
>>> must take into account available tools and libraries.
>>>
>>> Eclipse for example provides such an amazing IDE for java that it is no
>>> longer obvious to me that one would be much more productive in python
>>> for medium sized projects.
>>>
>>> Sure, all that Java static typing can be painful, but Eclipse takes
>>> some of that pain away. Moreover, static typing can result in better
>>> on-the-fly error detection and refactoring support.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on this?
>>>
>>> Amir
>>>
>> Yes, thats true, but since eclipse is resource monster (it is still
>> using java), and some people (like me) don't have a super fresh and new
>> computer, and have to run other services to test their work locally
>> (like mysql and apache servers), it gets pretty harsh with eclipse. I
>> personally tried eclipse on my laptop (which I work most with), and I
>> had quite a system resource problem. So I switched back to vim and
>> console and it hasn't been too bad, since if you know how to use a
>> powerful editor, it can be as productive.
>>
>> But in the end, it is up to anyone to find the best solutiion for
>> themselves.
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> Yes, thats true, but since eclipse is resource monster (it is still
> using java), and some people (like me) don't have a super fresh and new
> computer, and have to run other services to test their work locally
> (like mysql and apache servers), it gets pretty harsh with eclipse. I
> personally tried eclipse on my laptop (which I work most with), and I
> had quite a system resource problem. So I switched back to vim and
> console and it hasn't been too bad, since if you know how to use a
> powerful editor, it can be as productive.
>
> But in the end, it is up to anyone to find the best solutiion for
> themselves.
>
> Thomas

If you compare eclipse to VS, it is not that memory hungry - but i agree
with you that a min-config is needed. Yet (I believe that) a complete
IDE can bring functions that an editor, however powerful, cannot (I
still use emacs).

I have tried Komodo, Wing, Eric3, Idle, emacs, (not vi ;-) ), SPE,
boa-constructor, .... and many more - I like most of them but am really
addicted to eclipse + pydev.

... but even without pydev, I would not use java just because of eclipse.

hg