Good Looking UI for a stand alone application

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 08:48:22 EST 2006

On 12/20/06, Vincent Delporte <justask at acme.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:15:18 -0600, "Chris Mellon" <arkanes at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >There's a few more caveats I haven't addressed, and there are places
> >where wx isn't perfect.
>
> BTW, do you know of a good article/book on writing cross-platform GUI
> apps, with recommendations, pitfalls, etc. especially using wxWidgets?
> --

There's a book on both wxWidgets itself, and on wxPython. Both of them
focus primarily on the wx api, rather than on the more general cross
platform problems.

The wxWidgets book is part of Bruce Perens' open source series, and
you can get the PDF from http://phptr.com/perens.

The wxPython book isn't freely available, but you can order it from
wxpython.org.

Unfortunately, neither book points out too much in the way of pitfalls
- they're mainly focussed on the API. The wxWidgets book does have a
section on some common errors with conforming to platform standards
and what wx can and cannot do to help.