need guidance on sending emails with attachment with python.

krishnakant Mane researchbase at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 12:36:36 EST 2006

hello,
I am a bit confused.
I want to make a program that will take some data from a database and
make a string of text.  and send it to the respective email id of a
person.
next I also want to send an attachment of a photo along with the email.
I will be required to make this program run on windows xp.
can some one guide me as to how I can achieve this?
what I will need on windows to send emails?
I believe yahoo, gmail, rediff and msn supports pop3 and smtp?
correct me if I am wrong on this.
secondly what library is used on windows to do this?
I know there must be python libraries to do this,
but apart from that I don't know what all I will need on my windows
machine to send emails to mostly yahoo, gmail and msn.
Please give me some idea about it.
Krishnakant.