Windows: get owner and group of a file

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Dec 6 09:18:45 EST 2006

>> with ls -l on windows I get
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 500 everyone 320 Nov 09 09:35 myfile
>
> Are you by any chance running cygwin? That comes with ls, but
> windows doesn't.

Another alternative might be mounting their Windows-formatted
drive from within a *nix-like OS.  These permissions are usually
set via the /etc/fstab mounting options for the drive.  I don't
remember what the defaults are, as I have mine set up to take a
forced set of uid/gid for users/groups specific to my system.
Because at least FAT32 doesn't have this idea of groups (mapping
to NTFS is an entirely different ball of wax), you can specify a
default mask for everything or specify the directory mask
separately from the file mask.

	man mount

will give more details on such goods.

-tkc