merits of Lisp vs Python

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Fri Dec 8 09:14:20 EST 2006

"Mark Tarver" <dr.mtarver at ukonline.co.uk> writes:

> Paul Rubin wrote:
> > "Mark Tarver" <dr.mtarver at ukonline.co.uk> writes:
> > > How do you compare Python to Lisp?  What specific advantages do you
> > > think that one has over the other?
> >
> >    <http://google.com/search?q=python+lisp&btnI=I'm+feeling+lucky>
>
> Thanks;  a quick read of your reference to Norvig's analysis
>
> http://norvig.com/python-lisp.html
>
> seems to show that Python is a cut down (no macros) version of Lisp
> with a worse performance.  The only substantial advantage I can see is
> that GUI, and Web libraries are standard.  This confirms my suspicion
> that Lisp is losing out to newbies because of its
> lack of standard support for the things many people want to do.
>
> Mark

It is not just a newbie thing.  Even people who are reasonably fluent
in Lisp use Python for many tasks, and some make python the default
with Lisp as a special case.  It would probably be fair to say that
the more you know about a variety of languages, the more you
appreciate Python.

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture