merits of Lisp vs Python

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Fri Dec 8 13:57:28 EST 2006

Alex Mizrahi wrote:
> (message (Hello 'Bjoern)

>>  BS> Can you give an example? I cannot imagine how homogenity
>>  always BS> results in easiness.

> homogenity means that i can cut any expression and paste in any
> other expression, and as long as lexical variables are ok, i'll
> get correct results -- i don't have to reindent it or whatever.

Ah, so *that's* what you meant ... but I don't really understand the
ease of it.

> also, there's no need for operator precendence to be taken in
> accound -- order is explicitly defined. expressions are
> homogenous, they do not depend on other expressions near them
> (except lexical variables and side effects).

Sorry, I don't get it ;) Where does Python have things like
nonexplicit defined operator order?

> the other example of homogenous syntax is XML, that is very
> popular nowadays, and it's very similar to lisp's s-expressions.

Spoken freely, I don't like XML because it's hardly readable. Is
it "easy"? If yes, what's your definition of "easy"?

Regards,

Björn

Xpost cll,clp
--