text adventure question

Joe Peterson joe at skyrush.com
Sun Dec 3 12:56:21 EST 2006

On 2006-12-02, Ara Kooser <ghashsnaga at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working on a text adventure game for python to get back
> into python programming. My version 0.1 used only functions so
> I could get familiar with how those work. I want to move beyond
> that. I am not sure what would be a good Python way of handling
> this.  I was wondering if classes would help? What things
> should be included in the main program?

That's so funny!  I did the same thing when I was learning Python!

My cousin and I wrote some text adventure games when we were teenagers
(the code was on a TRS-80 in BASIC back then, and the BASIC program
became a kind of interpreter to interpret the adventure "program" files).

I re-wrote it in C, then Java, then Python.  I used it as a sort of
learning tool, and since Python is so good with strings, it became very
efficient.

I now have the code running on one of my web pages, so you can play the
games on-line:

	http://www.skyrush.com/explore/

						-Joe