perl better than python for users with disabilities?

nnorwitz at gmail.com nnorwitz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 13:34:32 EST 2006

Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Can I feel even better about using perl vs. python, as apparently
> python's dependence of formatting, indentation, etc. vs. perl's
> "(){};" etc. makes writing python programs perhaps very device
> dependent. Whereas perl can be written on a tiny tiny screen, and can
> withstand all kinds of users with various disabilities, etc.?
> Also perl is easier to squeeze into makefiles.

My esteemed colleague does not agree.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/07/finding-easy-to-read-web-content_20.html

Reposted with permission:

"""
As for programming in Python while not being able to see, I think
it comes down to the tools you have to do it with.

When in Grad School, all I had was a screenreader, and I stayed
away from python because of the whitespace having semantics
problem. However once i wrote emacspeak, and speech-enabled Barry
Warsaw's python-mode, programming in python has always been a
pleasure -- and the paucity of delimiters actually makes the code
more speakable.
"""