merits of Lisp vs Python

greg greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Dec 16 02:22:14 EST 2006

philip.armitage at gmail.com wrote:
> Then bring in more statement and you either have to
> remember precedence rules (I can never remember those) or add some
> parenthesis (oops!).

Probably you've been burned by C, which has a
ridiculously large number of precedence levels --
I don't know *anyone* who can remember them all.
Most people just remember a subset and use
parens for everything else.

Pascal had four levels, which was easy to remember
but not really enough. About six or seven seems
optimal to me.

Python, incidentally, has rather too many (it
seems to have caught this disease from C).

--
Greg