No latin9 in Python?

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Fri Dec 15 07:49:29 EST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> While you are at it, you'll notice that the current version of the
> character-sets database lists
>
> Name: ISO-8859-15
> MIBenum: 111
> Source: ISO
>         Please see:
> <http://www.iana.org/assignments/charset-reg/ISO-8859-15>
> Alias: ISO_8859-15
> Alias: Latin-9
>
> so the "official" alias is "Latin-9", not "latin9". You may
> want to ask the submitter of that entry why this inconsistency
> was introduced.

Unfortunately, I got no reply and I really cannot see any reason for
this inconsistency; probably it was a mistake or carelessness.

According to http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca/manual/Tabular.html,
"l9 and latin9 are aliases for this charset. Source: ISO 2375 registry."

So I think it cannot harm adding latin9 as an alias name. "Latin-9" will
then be recognized automatically since I think capitalization and
hyphens do not matter anyway (I'll check that).

Shall I proceed writing such a patch? Shall I also add latin0 and l0
which are other inofficial aliases?

-- Christoph