merits of Lisp vs Python

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 10:45:22 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:38:02 -0800, Wolfram Fenske wrote:
>

>>if Common Lisp didn't have CLOS, its object system, I could write my own
>>as a library and it would be just as powerful and just as easy to use as
>>the system Common Lisp already provides.  Stuff like this is impossible
>>in other languages.
>

> Dude. Turing Complete. Don't you Lisp developers know anything about
> computer science?

We just know the Turing Complete thing cannot be used to duck language
feature comparisons because the whole point of language comparison is
"how much pain does each language spare me?", where a Turing machine is
ranked as the ultimate in programming pain.

This might be because the whole point of a programming language is to
spare us the pain of toggling switches on the back of an ENIAC.

> Anything any language can do is possible in any other language,...

At what cost? <hint>

ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd