merits of Lisp vs Python

Espen Vestre espen at vestre.net
Tue Dec 12 02:55:41 EST 2006

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> Robert Brown <bbrown at speakeasy.net> writes:

> > Does this make Lisp "less dynamic" than Python?  Espen would say it's not
> > less dynamic, but rather that a similar level of dynamism is achieved in
> > Common Lisp via well defined interfaces.  The compiler knows the interfaces,
> > so it can do a better job optimizing the code.

[thank you for clarifying my post, Robert]

> I'd say Python is more dynamic in the sense that the Python runtime
> system has to actually concern itself about the dynamism all the time
> in practice, i.e. on every object method invocation.

Ok, but when you state that language A is more dynamic than language
B, most programmers would interpret that as (or so I guess) "A offers
more dynamism to the programmer than B" - not that it burdens the run
time system implementor with more dynamism...

--
  (espen)