Wow, Python much faster than MatLab

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Dec 30 16:29:05 EST 2006

Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl> writes:

> Doran, Harold wrote:
> > R is the open-source implementation of the S language developed at Bell
> > laboratories. It is a statistical programming language that is becoming
> > the de facto standard among statisticians.
> Thanks for the information
> I always thought that SPSS or SAS where thé standards.
> Stef

The 'SS' in SPSS stands for Social Science, IIRC.  Looking at the lack
of mention of that on their website, though, and the prominent use of
the "E word" there, they have obviously grown out of (or want to grow
out of) their original niche.

Googling, SAS's market seems to be mostly in the business / financial
worlds.

No doubt R's community differs from those, though I don't know exactly
how.  From the long list of free software available for it, it sure
seems popular with some people:

http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/

John