Python/Tk not working in Linux

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Sat Aug 12 03:25:35 EDT 2006

In <1155354248.783487.217200 at m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, BinnyVA wrote:

> I am using Fedora Core 3 Linux and I have a problem with Tk in Python.
> Whenever I try to run a tk script, I get the error...
>
> ---------------
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "Tk.py", line 1, in ?
> from Tkinter import *
> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in ?
> import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for
> Tk
> ImportError: No module named _tkinter
> ---------------

The `_tkinter` module is the binary "bridge" to the Tk system.  If it's
not found it's most likely that the relevant header files of tcl/tk where
not installed before compiling Python or there was a problem while
compiling this extension.

This seems to be your self compiled Python.  Are you sure you got the same
error when using the version from your distribution?  I would suspect you
get an `ImportError` on `Tkinter` there.  Some distributions move the
`Tkinter` stuff into an own package.  Search for a package called
`python-tk` or `python-tkinter` or similar.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch