hide python code !

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 10:43:35 EDT 2006

Paul Boddie wrote:
> Fuzzyman wrote:
> > I never understand the knee-jerk reaction on this mailing list to
> > answer people who ask this question by telling them they don't really
> > want to do it...
>
> Well, given the pace of technological development and the disregard in
> some environments for perpetual backward compatibility, how much of
> your infrastructure would you implement in vendor-supplied binaries,
> especially when the vendor is a one man plus dog operation? When the
> binaries don't work on your newly-upgraded system and the vendor is on
> holiday (possibly for good), it doesn't look like a knee-jerk reaction
> any more.

It's worth remembering that there is a massive amount of software that
has nothing to do with 'infrastructure', that won't need to be
maintained, or upgraded. Examples include most retail software for the
home or small office, and most entertainment software. Developers of
such software often have understandable reasons for making it
inconvenient to examine the algorithms at a high level.

--
Ben Sizer