DirectPython

Heikki Salo hosalo at _NO_SPAM_gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 12:54:27 EDT 2006

Jérôme Le Bougeant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have DirectPython 0.5 (http://directpython.sourceforge.net/) and python2.4
> (directx9.0C installed).
> Samples do not work, I have this error : "RuntimeError: Failed to create a
> device"
> For example with sampleBasic.py :
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "sampleBasic.py", line 147, in ?
>     mainloop()
>   File "sampleBasic.py", line 75, in mainloop
>     d3d.createDevice(title, u"textures/x.ico", window[2], window[3], False,
> CREATE.HARDWARE)
> RuntimeError: Failed to create a device
>

> Why ?
>
> please help me... any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks

I guess that you have pretty old or some cheap integrated
graphics card. Either that or you should upgrade your drivers.
createDevice() tests if some basic requirements are met and
fails if they are not.

You can try to use CREATE.SOFTWARE | CREATE.NOCAPCHECK
combination to pass these checks, but most of the advanced
samples probably don't work.

--
Heikki Salo