first book about python

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 03:24:05 EDT 2006

gene tani wrote:
> IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS wrote:
> > I want to learn python.
> > I plan to buy a book. I always find printed material more convenient than
> > reading on-line tutorials.
> > I don't know PERL or any other scripting language. I only know some BASH
> > programming. I am looking for a book which will help me get started and
> > should contain the foundations. I am not looking for the Python bible.
> > Any recommendations?
> > Ioannis
>
> Printed: Magnus Hetland's latest book, the Wrox book and OReilly
> Learning Python are all good.  Chun's "Core Python" will be updated and
> released soon, that will be good too.

thanks for the plug.  the book has indeed been fully updated plus a
few brand new chapters as well... release date's about the 1st-2nd
week of Sep 2006.

"Core Python" target audience is comprised of those who know how to
program in any other high-level language, i.e., C/C++, Java, Perl,
Tcl/Tk, PHP, etc., who want to learn Python as quickly and as
comprehensively as possible, then be introduced to a variety of
specialized topics with which to continue to develop your Python
skills with.  it is not the bible, as that would be the docs that
already come with Python.

i'd say it's about 40% beginner, 40% intermediate/advanced, and 20%
reference. if you're looking for a pure reference, check out Beazley's
PER or Martelli's Nutshell. if you're absolutely new to programming,
check out Dawson's Absolute Beginner or Downey/Eklner's How to Think
like a Computer Scientist.  if you want a large case study (tons of
examples, i.e., everything *plus* the kitchen sink), look for Lutz'
massive Programming Python.

if you only know shell scripting, you should still be able to pick up
much of the material in Core Python, esp. if you have done looping
and/or conditionals in the shell language.  it is a large book and is
pretty comprehensive though, so if you're looking for a lighter intro,
the books gene's suggested should work -- i would also add Dive into
Python to that group.  if possible, try to find sample chapters from
any book you're interested in before buying to make sure that it will
suit your needs.

when you start delving into Python, come over to the Python Tutor
mailing list.  if you have a question that no book seems to be able to
answer or seems to be taking forever to look up, you'll find that you
can get just about any answer from the helpful tutors on that list.

yiassoo!
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com