Best IDE for Python

Yu-Xi Lim yuxi at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 14 13:32:01 EDT 2006

Michiel Sikma wrote:
> By FOS, do you mean FOSS (Free and Open Source Software)? I've never
> seen the acronym FOS used.

Maybe he was trying for "Free Open Source IDE" without the
semi-redundant "Software"

> I personally use Eclipse with PyDev.
> http://www.eclipse.org/
> http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

Eclipse+PyDev has the advantage over emacs when it comes to big
projects, IMO. It has features like refactoring, better project
management, code coverage. emacs has the advantage of being faster and
smaller, and if all you need is a syntax-aware (smart indentation,
syntax highlighting) editor and integrated debugger, emacs is more than
enough.

I've tried the other free IDEs like IDLE, SPE, eric3, TruStudio (for
Eclipse), Boa, Komodo, WingIDE. I have various issues with them,
including instability, poor automatic indentation, bad GUI (too many
subwindows or uncustomizable), costly, no refactoring, and no project
management.

It's strangely ironic. I consider Eclipse to be a lousy Java IDE
especially compared to commercial offerings and yet that's what the
project started out as.