How ahead are you guys in the (Python) real world?

Jack Diederich jackdied at jackdied.com
Thu Aug 31 00:18:49 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 08:01:02PM -0700, Aahz wrote:
> In article <vMrJg.484475$Mn5.394204 at pd7tw3no>,
> Neil Schemenauer  <nas at arctrix.com> wrote:
> >Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> My company uses 2.2 and 2.3; we hope to drop 2.2 Real Soon Now.
> >
> >This has been an interesting thread.  There has been some discussion
> >on python-dev about doing another 2.3 bugfix release.  Based on the
> >number of people still using 2.3, it looks to me like there would be
> >interest.
>
> Yes; the real question is whether there is enough labor available to
> make it happen.

I came away from the thread with the opposite conclusion for similar
reasons.  People would use a 2.3.6 if their OS upgraded it for them but
those are the same people who won't upgrade to 2.4.x because it involves
testing.  2.3.5 isn't broken for them or they would know it by now.
2.3.6 probably isn't broken for them but it can't help -- or they would
have noticed a bug by now.

My own servers jumped from 2.2 to 2.4 for the same reason everyone else
has given for an upgrade.  We just happened to have time in the dev
cycle to do testing and did it on the version that was available (2.4.1)
at that time.

-Jack