Pros/Cons of Turbogears/Rails?

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 17:31:08 EDT 2006

On 8/31/06, Jorge Vargas <jorge.vargas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 Aug 2006 08:24:29 -0700, Adam Jones <ajones1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I believe that is the most important part of TG, taking the best of
> the best, and letting the framework adapt and morphe.
>
> for example noone plan to move to SA, 0.1 came out a couple of people
> took and look and like it, then 0.2 was "mature enough" so people
> started thinking about the migration. after that some code was made
> and now we have TG with SA, eventually it will be the default.
> Same with templates, kid is really weak at generating non-xml, it has
> a plain text serializer but the input must be xml so that's overkill.
> So a new template frontend (chettah was born).
>
> Someone ones said on the mailing list TG is the Ubuntu of web
> frameworks, and I think I'll add and you can strip down the kernel and
> it wont break :)

But that is not really true. If you use Cheetah instead of Kid, you
lose out: No widgets, no auto-generated code and the (incomplete)
documentation won't apply anymore (it assumes Kid templates ofcourse).
If you use SQLAlchemy instead of SQLObject, no identity framework, no
administrative tools (tg-admin sql, CatWalk etc) and no documentation.
If you use prototype instead of MochiKit... I have no idea what
happens and using another webserver than CherryPy isn't possible right
now, I guess?

In fact, if you decide to replace so many modules that TurboGears
depend on, what do you gain in using TurboGears at all? It seems like
the TurboGears developers have a lot of work to do, (and a lot of
documentation to write) if they want to make their framework as easy
to use as others (ie: Django) that takes a more holistic approach.
TurboGears more seem to be like emacs than Ubuntu - infinitely
customizable...

In the future both Rails and TurboGears will probably be great. But
since someone mentioned Rails moving to YARV, and TurboGears moving to
SQLAlchemy and Markup, it seems to me that they are both in a state of
flux and not quite ready yet.

--
mvh Björn