Basic Boost.Python Question

Pierre Barbier de Reuille p.barbierdereuille at free.fr
Mon Aug 14 18:11:56 EDT 2006

Hoop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been working in getting Boost.Python running on my PC, seems to
> work now.
> I have what I believe is somewhat of basic question here.
> I am starting on an application that will developed in VS2005, probably
> using C++/CLI.
>  I want to be able to exchange data in between Python and C++. The user
> when running the  C++ app will be able to call a python script, set
> some values, that will then be communicated to running application, it
> will have to run the python code, and send some data to the
> applicationfrom Python to vary the performance. And probably the C++
> end will have to call a python script and pass some data to it.
> So, is Boost.Python the way to go here or is there something else that
> will accomplish this?

Boost.Python is certainly a (good) way to do it ! I go as far as
including a Python shell to allow two-way interactions with the objects
loaded in the C++ GUI of my app ... Look at the tutorial, mostly here:

http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/python/embedding.html

To know how to use Python from a C++ application. But I warn you: it is
much simpler the other way around, i.e. having a Python app' calling
some C++ code to make some parts quicker (or call already existing libs).

Pierre