Adding a char inside path string

Anthra Norell anthra.norell at tiscalinet.ch
Thu Aug 17 02:50:17 EDT 2006

Hitesh,  You might want to try this:

>>> tricky_path_name = '\\serverName\\C:\\exe files\\example.exe -u ABC -g DEF'

>>> import SE

>>> Editor = SE.SE ('C:=C$: "exe -=exe<clip here>"')

>>> edited_path_name = Editor (tricky_path_name)

>>> print edited_path_name    # See what it did

\serverName\C$:\exe files\example.exe<clip here>u ABC -g DEF

>>> path_name = edited_path_name.split ('<clip here>')[0]

>>> print path_name

\serverName\C$:\exe files\example.exe    # There you go

Note 1: As long as 'print edited_path_name' doesn't look right, change the substitution definitions that make your Editor. Maybe
there should be no colon after the '$'. So change ''C:=C$:' to ''C:=C$'. Should your Editor ever fail to handle a path name having
an unexpected format, add another substitution definition to also accommodate the new format.

Note 2: '<clip here>' is a self-documenting split mark. You'd pick a more convenient one.

Note 3: If the path name ends with 'exe' it works all the same. The edited path name will not have '<clip here>'. So the split will
be a list containing one element instead of two. In either case the edited path name is at index 0.

Note 4: Get SE at: http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/SE/2.2%20beta

Regards

Frederic