What do you want in a new web framework?

olsongt at verizon.net olsongt at verizon.net
Thu Aug 24 15:03:43 EDT 2006

Peter Maas wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > Indeed, it has been truthfully observed that Python's the only language
> > with more web frameworks than keywords.
> >
> > I have already suggested to the BDFL that he can remedy this situation
> > in Py3k: all he has to do, of course, is to add a LOT more keywords.
>
> Here is another remedy: he adds one of the frameworks to the standard
> library :)
>
> Peter Maas, Aachen

But there are already 3 ;-)

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-BaseHTTPServer.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-SimpleHTTPServer.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-CGIHTTPServer.html

To answer the original poster, I personally like the ASP.NET model of
Controls (I'm sure some people will disagree) that do things like
automatically render, automatically marshall/unmarhall form data and
bind to variables, and respond to events.  I always think it's a little
stupid when I try to use a framework, and I still need to manually
extract info from post data, and I still need to manually construct
simple things like <input text /> boxes.  That is probably an
interesting area to explore.

I haven't looked at python web frameworks in a while, so if there are
any existing frameworks out there that do things with a similar model,
someone please let me know.

-Grant