random writing access to a file in Python

tobiah st at tobiah.org
Fri Aug 25 17:08:02 EDT 2006

>  ===============================================================
>  if I want to write, I don't open for reading (plus or not plus)

I was thinking the same thing.  I know python is only following
C, which is good, but the flags are confusing.  I'll bet that
when fopen() was first written, they had only 'r', and 'w'.
Then, when that was working they thought, "but what if we
want to read and write on the same handle".  So they tacked
on the '+' to mean, "Let me do the other thing too".