Newbie doing lengthy initialization with Tkinter gui

Pasi Oja-Nisula pon at iki.fi
Sun Aug 13 06:39:14 EDT 2006

I have written a small image viewer application for
sorting out photos downloaded from camera. This was quite easy,
thanks to the great Python Imaging Library. Since the loading and
thumbnailing phase takes a while at the start of the program,
I figured that it would be nice to show the gui and put some kind
of "loading image 25/50" text there while processing the images.
So now I construct the simple Tkinter gui in init and when mainloop
is called the gui is shown.

The question is how (or where) can I call my loadImages function right
after the mainloop starts? Or is there a better way to do this?

Pasi