windows pagfile utilization

Richard Brodie R.Brodie at rl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 30 12:37:45 EDT 2006

"Tim Chase" <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.10124.1156954110.27775.python-list at python.org...

> "Thanks for putting 4 gigs of ram in your machine.  How about I let you use 2 of 'em
> while I underutilize the other 2 gigs?"
>
> Sounds silly, IMHO.

Well, for a lot of scenarios, it's going to be the 2GB limit on system
space that is more of an issue. It's 2GB per process for user space,
whereas your whole filesystem cache, for example,  is likely to have
to fit into that 2GB system space.

Having said that, tweaking the limit to 3GB, say, is a bit like rearranging
the deckchairs on the Titanic. DEC was doing much the same with big iron
VAX machines in '93. If you need that much space today, just use a 64-bit
system and get over it, unless you really are locked in.