How to get the ascii code of Chinese characters?

Gerhard Fiedler gelists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 12:55:45 EDT 2006

On 2006-08-19 12:42:31, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:

> many_years_after wrote:
>
>> what I want to do is just to make numbers as people input some Chinese
>> character(hanzi,i mean).The same character will create the same
>> number.So I think ascii code can do this very well.
>
> No it can't.  ASCII doesn't contain Chinese characters.

Well, ASCII can represent the Unicode numerically -- if that is what the OP
wants. For example, "U+81EC" (all ASCII) is one possible -- not very
readable though <g> -- representation of a Hanzi character (see
http://www.cojak.org/index.php?function=code_lookup&term=81EC).

(I don't know anything about Hanzi or Mandarin... But that's Unicode, so
this works :)

Gerhard