What do you want in a new web framework?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Aug 24 00:04:13 EDT 2006

Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> wrote:

>But there are interesting things in Ruby (and Ruby 2 should take care of
>lots of warts Ruby 1.8 has) that Python could learn from.  All-in-all,
>Ruby is mostly as good as Python in most ways and better than Python in
>a couple key ways.

...but you can't READ Ruby code.  One of the things I like best about
Python is that, like Cobol, you can read Python code like prose (or poetry
;) and, for the most part, know what the code does, even without being a
Python guru.  I have not had the same experience with Ruby.  There are
special characters in there that make the program say something I can't
immediately discern.

To be sure, people whose opinions I trust (one of whom is Cliff Wells) have
said that Ruby is great, so I suppose I need to look again.  I just haven't
had the same "aha!" experience that I had with Python.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.