beginner questions on embedding/extending python with C++

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 08:42:13 EDT 2006

Qun Cao wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am a beginner on cross language development. My problem at hand is to
> build a python interface for a C++ application built on top of a 3D
> game engine.  The purpose of this python interface is providing a
> convenient scripting toolkit for the application.

As well as this group/list, you may find some useful help at the
Gamedev.net Scripting Languages and Game Modifications forum:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=41

Many people there have mixed Python and C++ code in the context of game
applications and may have some good answers to your questions. After
deciding how to expose C++ classes and functions to Python, the main
problem you'll face, assuming you need the functionality, is how to
yield control between Python and C++ when a Python action is
long-running yet requires the C++ engine to be polled (eg. to handle
input, AI, graphics, etc). Previous threads there will give you some
hints on all these matters.

--
Ben Sizer