Split with python

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Aug 30 17:39:05 EDT 2006

tobiah wrote:
> John Machin wrote:
> > tobiah wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, fixing the csv file takes a little more work.  It sounds like the
> >> test lines given were just one of the fields, and there are
> >> the quotes to worry about.
> >>
> > [snip]
> >> But then this fails if there are commas in the
> >> data.  I could split and join on '","' but then
> >> that fails when 'x' is either the first or last field.
> >>
> >> Are there tools in the csv module that make this
> >> easier?
> >
> > There are no "tools". The main (whole?) purpose of the csv module is to
> > intelligently handle the embedded comma and embedded quote problems on
> > both input and output. May I suggest that you read the documentation?
> >

> If you read the entire thread, you may find that I am
> not deserving of a condescending reply.

I did read the whole thread. I have read it again. I find that given a
question of the form "are there tools in the X module ...", a response
suggesting that you read the documentation and failing re.search("F",
response, re.I) is not unreasonable.

"condescending" is your inference, not my implication.

Cheers,
John