yet another noob question

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Aug 15 06:36:44 EDT 2006

Jason Nordwick wrote:
> I use reduce to also do indexing, hashing with upsert semantics of lists of key-value pairs, transitioning through a state table, etc...
>
> Somebody else pointed out to me how odd it is of Python to be ditching reduce when Guido van Rossum was hired by Google, and Google is literally built on map and reduce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapreduce).

That seems a bit literal. Just because they use a tool called MapReduce
that doesn't imply that thay chose to implement it with the Python map()
and reduce() functions. It's a distributed application, in case you
hadn't noticed ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119