Python for Windows

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Wed Aug 30 08:17:28 EDT 2006

mistral wrote:
> I need compile code written in Python. I use Windows 98SE. Should I
> download Python for Windows installer?
> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi
> Will the msi installer modify registry or other system files? Does it
> possible install Python not touching registry and system files?
>
> thanks.

The installer does make a few minor registry entries (what Windows
program doesn't).  They are minor and have only to do with the program
being able to know where it is installed, etc.

You can't really "compile" Python code, it is an interpreted
language.  You can use an extension called py2exe that packages up
python code with a .exe file and a couple of support files and
that package can be installed on a computer with minimal or no
registry or system file modifications.

-Larry Bates