Using Python for my web site

Conrad nospan at nothanks.org
Tue Aug 1 23:51:28 EDT 2006

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 23:26:14 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> On 2006-08-01 21:04:07, Conrad wrote:
>
>>> A few years ago I did some research, and the result was that while
>>> PostgreSQL was claimed to have more features and a better design, the
>>> reports of database corruption seemed to have been more frequent than
>>> with MySQL.
>
>> I can't claim to have done your extensive (and well documented)
>> research,
>
> You maybe should consider new reading glasses. Or learn how to respond to
> the correct message. Either you somehow got it all completely wrong, or
> you responded to the wrong message.
>
> Or is there something in PostgreSQL that makes its users acidic? :)
>
> Gerhard

Well, maybe so -

I followed up to this message:
Subject:      Re: Using Python for my web site
From:         Gerhard Fiedler <gelists at gmail.com>
Newsgroups:   comp.lang.python
Date:         Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:12:56 -0300

Which begins "A few years ago" and is signed Gerhard. It appears
that Bruno and Sybren did the same, no? Perhaps we could get a
referal for all of us to an optician for group rates?

Here's my issue - someone, who according to my defective newsreader
and clearly myopic eyes appeared to be you, once again invoked the
word research. Not only research, but results. I've done research.
It's a rigorous pain in the kiester, and it's seldom as black and
white as you hoped it would be going into the project. But due to
the blood I've donated to a couple of research projects, I would
hope that the words "research" and "results" carried some honest
syntactic weight. In other words, if I've done research, I would
hope it involved more than reading a couple of Linux Journal
articles, and a blog posting by some kid who's been serving up
pictures of his sister's kitties with MySQL for two years now with
no problems.

I haven't seen any significant research on PosgreSQL vs. MySQL
in an apples-to-apples, detached, no-axes-to-grind study. I
have seen a number of "tastes great" "less filling" studies.
I have seen MySQL bite me on the butt, more than once, and I'm
deeply attached to my butt, however anectdotal that may be.

But I'll have the honesty to not claim it's "research". Just
hands-on experience with a tool.

And no, PostgeSQL admins didn't get acidic using PostgreSQL,
which is proven to be calming, regrow hair, whiten your teeth
and improve stamina (it really does - I've done research on it).

We got that way from dealing with other DBs before we switched.

Cheers,

Conrad