Persistent Session in CGI

Damjan gdamjan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 21:11:02 EDT 2006

> I have started a new small web project, and was wondering if there are
> any good guides on how to do Persistent Sessions and Authentication
> using python and CGI. I don't really want too use Zope, because It's
> probably overkill for my tiny project.

Since you only mention Zope...
Why not use TurboGears or Pylons or CleverHarold ... or anything WSGI based.
Or if you want to make something minimal you could try Paste with
(optionally) RhubarbTart.

But.. WSGI is the new CGI (the lowest common denominator) in Python web
development. So use it.
The benefits:
You can run your app as CGI, in mod_python, as a standalone http server,
with SCGI/FastCGI.
You'll benefit from authentication and session middleware. Middleware is a
great WSGI concept, there are also caching middlewares etc..

--
damjan