sending mailing list with smtplib

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Aug 15 05:53:53 EDT 2006

3KWA wrote:
> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
>
>>Specify "didn't work" at least... see
>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>

> Ooops, didn't work explained (the worst is I bought and read ESR's book
> :()
>
> list.txt=
> email1
> email2
> email3
> emailn
>
> email1 received from:xsbar.com to:email1 subject: [xsbar] alive and
> kicking ... message
>
> from email2 onwards it seems what happened is that the recipient list
> kept growing,
> email 2 received from:eugene at xsbar.com to:email1 to:email2 subject: ...
> email3 received from:eugene at xsbar.com to:email1 to:email2 to:email3
> subject:...
> emailn received from:eugene at xsbar.com to:email1 to:email2 to:email3 ...
> to:emailn subject:...
>
> Many didn't receive the email because the header grew too big (I
> received 1257 failure notice ~50% of them for header too big or
> inappropriate recipient list).
>
> Apologize for the inaccuracy of my first post

OK, now the problem is that you clearly aren't running the code you
posted, you are running *somethinglike* the code you posted, but that
has (an) error(s) the code you posted didn't.

So let's see the version with the "print" statements in it, not the
sanitised version you didn't copy-and-paste fro your python source :-)

For the record, it's clear that youa ren't resetting the senders to an
empty list each time but growing it as you go round the loop. If this
helps you find your error, at least confirm that you did indeed find the
problem.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119