outputting a command to the terminal?

Simon Forman rogue_pedro at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 14:47:52 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Simon Forman wrote:
>
> > It's simple, short, and to-the-point.  The equivalent python script
> > would be much longer, for no appreciable gain.  I write most of my tiny
> > little helper scripts in python, but in this case, bash is the clear
> > winnar.  (And on *nix. man pages are your best friend. Plus you get to
> > feel all l33t when you grok them. lol)
>
> Thanks for the info! I might grudgingly decide to use a bash script in
> this case. :)

You're welcome. lol :)

> And yes, it seems every time I ask a Linux question, everyone points me
> to a man page. Sometimes I find them difficult to decipher, but they are
> still a great help.

Yup.  When I started with Linux, man pages were one of those things I
resisted...  until I started actually reading them.  Then I kicked
myself for not starting sooner. :)

Neat trick:  man -k <search term>
Shows you man pages matching your search term (I think it's the same
thing as the "apropos" command.) It searches the command names and
summary lines.

Peace,
~Simon