hide python code !

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Tue Aug 15 11:04:18 EDT 2006

Gerhard Fiedler <gelists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2006-08-14 20:48:45, Damjan wrote:
>
> > I think you increase your chances of Microsoft not even being in the same
> > room with your software 100-fold if you release it under.. say GPL.
>
> ... and have the money to run a law suit? Patents, licenses etc are only as
> strong as the money that backs them, mostly.

I guess that's an advantage of GPL: there's a foundation (with much
better funding than you could raise as an individual) which will gladly
fight for GPL, both in the courts and in the arena of public opinion --
I believe that, so, far, they've won every single fight they've picked,
by just the joint threat of lawsuits and public shaming campaigns.

It just isn't worth Microsoft's while to take the public-relations hit
of such a fight: much cheaper for them to re-implement your ideas than
to copy your GPL'd code.

Alex